Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 40



Happy 4th of July everyone! You know, I kept debating about what to cook today and my menu probably changed at least 3 or 4 times. See, my plan was to make all healthy foods, but I also knew that I needed to compromise. I wanted my husband and daughter's to have some things they'd enjoy, too and that's where I went wrong. The problem as usual is, how do I keep from binging, if certain trigger foods are around? 

My plan started out good. I cut soda out of the menu entirely and decided we could do without the dinner rolls and butter, but I did buy a big bag of potato chips... bad idea #1.

I made a pot of collard greens using smoked turkey instead of pork then instead of frying chicken like my daughter wanted, I made that tomato based chicken in the crockpot. Even though I tried to get out of it, the kid's begged me to make macaroni and cheese, so I gave in. Did I mention that I really love macaroni and cheese? Yeah, bad idea #2.

I knew that I needed to keep  the sugar to a minimum, but I also didn't want to deprive my husband and kids. Just because I was watching what I ate didn't mean they should also have to avoid having dessert. Yup, you guessed it... bad idea #3.

This is the 2nd time that this has happened during my journey and I know there's no one to blame but myself. It's just that I've watched my husband and daughter's eat all kinds of goodies in front of me and I continued to do well 38 out of these 40 days, so why did I give myself permission to give in today? I hadn't planned to until I poured the chips in the bowl and sat them on the table and even then, I was only going to have a couple. I don't know but, somehow a couple turned into a few, which turned into a handful, which turned into two handfuls. Then I kind of lost track. Tomorrow I just want to focus... really focus on doing better. There's a lot of leftovers in the fridge, but the only thing I plan to eat is the collard greens, they can have the rest of it.



Inspiration picture: Stacey Morris (Sparkpeople.com story)

I Lost Weight

Stacey's before weight was 345 pounds... her interview is below.



How I Gained It: My designated food groups were fat, white carbs and salt: French fries, potato chips, Italian bread soaked in butter, cheeseburgers and fried chicken. Cream cheese was my all-time favorite source of protein. No need for salmon or spinach, thank you very much. My mission was to seek out food that tasted good and helped me escape the feelings of turmoil over a stressful job, unhappy relationship and the deep sorrow over slowly losing my father to Alzheimer's disease.
How I Lost It: I began doing DDPYOGA workouts regularly. The routines began to strengthen my lethargic and sedentary body. They're also a cardio workout and got my heart and lungs in better condition. I gave up gluten and cow dairy. As much as I adore bread and cheese, I was willing to give it a try and amazed at how much better I felt -- the weight also started coming off like never before. The last thing I wanted, however, was to be doing anything that felt like a diet, so I set about putting habits into place I could live with. No food was permanently off limits. But at the same time, I had to acknowledge that a steady stream of junk food was doing me no favors. I agreed to have treats like fried chicken when I was truly craving it, and not when I wanted to fill an emotional hole. The lighter I became, the more I wanted to do. Nine months into my new way of life and 100 pounds lighter, I trained for and participated in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. To this day, I love long-distance walking, as well as weight-training, Pilates and all forms of yoga.
Today, I love food, possibly more than ever, because I eat with awareness and not in a trance. And I love other things, like climbing a few flights of stairs without sounding like a locomotive, wearing high heels instead of flat sandals, slipping into the back seat of a compact car and mentoring others who are on a similar path. This is Stacey today after losing 185 pounds.



Stay strong and have a great day.

8 comments:

  1. You will be kicking-ass tomorrow!!

    You are going to think I am crazy, but I put together a list of trigger foods that I know I cannot have near me, so it reinforces to me to stay away from them. It's weird how I also have same triggers. There are lots of temptations right now, but you will be back on track I know it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! Maybe this was just a holiday incident, but I think you should reflect about the exact thoughts that happened in your mind when you decided to buy certain foods and overeat. Really think about what you told yourself, and then think about what was wrong about that message. Then think about what you could tell yourself the next time you are in that situation.

    I personally think that food journaling fixes these types of problems. I was food journaling my food yesterday, and omg, I was done with my calories by about 3:30 p.m. in the afternoon (because I was indulging a little but writing it down) so I had to immediately stop eating. I didn't eat the rest of the day and night.

    Keep working at it. :D

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am not one to deprive myself completely from anything (except soda and sugar), I do believe Linda is on to something. Perhaps make a list of what yields ye to temptation and try to avoid it as best as possible. There are also alternatives that you can give to your family (some healthier chips perhaps). I'm pretty sure they won't mind keeping you on track. They want you around for many many many more years ;)

    One bad day doesn't mean that you are a failure. It means that you're human and we are prone to making mistakes. Just dust yourself off and kick butt!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachael, you have 3 choices, in the future. (because these types of situations will also keep re-occurring):

    1. don't cook the trigger foods for your family. (doesn't sound like you are strong enough to do this. But it's an option.)
    2. cook the trigger foods, but respect yourself enough to abstain.
    3. keep doing what you are doing, getting the same results you are getting, and not improve your health, or improve it much more sporadically and slowly than you could achieve otherwise.

    It comes down to those 3 choices. You have to have a 'come to Jesus' talk with yourself, and figure out your path, going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me some collard greens!! I think it was a HUGE step that you even admitted to the small stumblings. I know for me at least it's so hard to admit when I've failed, but when I do and get it out in the open I feel refreshed and ready to move on! Don't they say the first step is admittance? Maybe I'm making that up! :) One or two days out of 40 isn't anything! You are doing AWESOME!

    I think that in order for you to be completely successful you will need your family 100% be your side. I'm not saying that they aren't (because I'm brand be newby to your site) BUT I think that a great alternative to them eating your triggers in front of you (or even around you) would be to all make healthier changes together. Because sweets aren't just bad for those of us on the weightloss journey, white refined sugar is bad for EVERYONE! So maybe for desserts you could try and make a healthier version of something. Or make some swaps - like applesauce for butter and coconut oil for oil/butter. Things like that? I've been pinning healthy treats and desserts on pinterest and I'm finding as I make a few of them - they are really quite good! Not only do I not regret having a little, I know that I can have a treat without the negative consequences. Just an idea/thought. I just find it easier if those things aren't around and all, and after a while I don't even crave them any more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try to look at the good in any situation. The good in this situation is that you have done exceptionally well for 38 out of 40 days. Those 2 days do not ruin what you have accomplished thus far because you are a strong person and can get on track when needed. The best thing is that you recognize what happened on the holiday and you are moving on from that. Just look at the fact that you have a 95% success rate (since you have your 38 out of 40 days) and the number will go higher as you continue to strive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it that we focus negative energy and thoughts on the the thing we feel we did wrong as opposed to positive energy and thoughts on what we did right? Why do we torture ourselves this way?
    38 days out of 40 of eating healthily is something to be amazingly proud of, don't give those other 2 days any more thought.
    I have struggled with food issues for many many years now and I'm only just getting on top of it because I've learned not to berate myself if I have a treat. Tell yourself if you feel you need to but give this telling off no longer than 2 minutes of your life, after that concentrate on those other 38 days and allow yourself to be proud for that achievement.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly what you mean, I have that same problem every saturday. My parents have kind of an appatizer buffet lol BEFORE DINNER. it kills me. But what I've found is there has got to be some healthy choices you choose that taste just as great, plus are good for you. No guilt. What works for me is carrots and hummus. While they are snacking on the cheese and whine I'm also enjoying my hummus and wheat thins for carrots. You will find something, you've been doing so well! These things happen :) Keep up the great work.

    Wow, amazing inspirational story! I love those. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete