Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 42



Yesterday, I sat everyone down then had a long talk with both of my daughter's and my husband. I told them that there are certain days during my journey that I feel really strong, but there are other days when I feel extremely weak. I explained that it's times like that, that I'm at my most vulnerable. I told them that unlike the other times that I've 'dieted' in the past and failed miserably, this change in my eating habits today, is for the rest of my life. I asked for their help in beating this addiction.

I received some really great ideas from my blogger friend's and I truly appreciate everyone's advice. I told my family that for the time being, I wouldn't be able to cook some of their favorites because they are trigger foods for me and cause me to binge... thanks Gwen. I also told them that we'll be eating a little different during holiday's and special occasions until I am mentally and physically able to resist them. Once I can get this compulsive eating under control, I can gradually start to make those foods again.

I decided to make a list of all of the foods that I need to stay away from, too... thanks Linda. It's hanging smack in front of the refrigerator where I'll see it every time I open those doors... and the best thing is that it's a reminder for my family, too. I'm sure this list is going to get a lot longer, so every time I think of something else, I'll simply add it on.



You know, I love reading about people that finally conquered their weight loss battle. Even though I've never met any of these people, sometimes it just brings tears to my eyes because their stories are so inspiring. They all have these big smiles on their faces in their after pictures because they did it! These wonderful men and woman didn't have a magic diet pill or possess some special ability that the rest of us were born without. These are people just like you and me who were determined to end the constant abuse to their bodies and if they can beat their addiction then so can I. Do you hear that addiction??? You're going down!!! I know that sounds crazy since I just lost control a couple of days ago, but I'm learning and that makes me stronger.

Inspiration picture: April Dixon lost 135 pounds (Sparkpeople.com story)

I Lost Weight April Dixon

April's before weight was 260 pounds. Her interview is below.


How I Gained It: I had always been overweight throughout my childhood. I was over 100 pounds when I was five years old. The students at school would tease me because of my weight. I would be embarrassed to go out in public because I was paranoid of what others thought of me. I always turned to food for comfort. Food was my best friend that I could always depend on. I used to eat a lot of fast food. Breakfast was my favorite meal. I was over 200 pounds at the age of 10. One day when I was 16 I looked in the mirror and cried. I felt so disgusted because I had allowed myself to get so big. I made a decision to do something about my weight.
How I Lost It: Every day, I walked five miles on the treadmill. I changed my eating habits by taking only small portions of food. For breakfast, I would eat old-fashioned oatmeal without sugar or butter, with two slices of bacon and fruit such as peaches, apples, grapes and bananas. For lunch, I would eat grilled chicken salads and fruit. For dinner, I would eat steamed vegetables, grilled chicken and salads. The only fluid I would drink was water. I continued to exercise every day and sometimes changed my exercise routine. I would do 30 to 45 minutes of aerobic videos, and every week or two, I would weigh myself. Sometimes I would lose five pounds in a week, sometimes more. I had to buy a new wardrobe. I joined a fitness club, and worked out there three days a week lifting weights, running on the treadmill, doing sit-ups and push ups and using the bicycles.
I entered into my senior year in high school 135 pounds lighter! I went from a size 22 to a size six. I've lost 28 inches off my waist and 22 inches off my hips and thighs.I entered into my senior year in high school 135 pounds lighter! There are times when I crave for certain foods, but I learn to control my eating habits. I have kept the weight off for eight years now, and I continue to exercise three days a week.

After picture: April at 125 pounds



Daily Food Journal:
Breakfast: Special K with berries, decaf
Lunch: Roasted garlic hummus on multi grain with lettuce and tomatoes, 1 apple
Snack: fresh strawberries
Dinner: 1 veggie burger (no bun or cheese), 10 almonds and a side of collard greens

Notes: I worked out for a full hour at the gym tonight and all I can say is, aaaahhhh... I needed that. I had the gym to myself again, so I got to watch whatever I wanted on TV.


They had a Walking Dead marathon on all weekend long on AMC, so I just watched that while I was there. Overall, today went well.



STRONG is what happens when you run out of WEAK!

13 comments:

  1. I love the STRONG is what happens when you run out of WEAK!! And you are strong! That is wonderful that you spoke to your family - I had a feeling you would!! That is super great! Love the inspirational stories. Keeping going STRONG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael, I am SO proud of you! Good for you to sit your family down, explain everything, and let them know how you needed their support. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love how supportive this community can be!! Way to go with the changes you've made, I think hanging that list on the fridge AND staying away from those triggers will be key! I also love that you've incorporated your family to help you keep your goals. What a great post, you've got this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on the changes you have made! I always say that gaining this weight was way more easier than losing it! But I can't wait to get to goal! Hang in there, you are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Those are great changes. I'm glad you have your family on board to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachael, I'm so glad you found my blog which led me to yours! I can "hear" the determination in your words, kudos to you! Thank you for the inspiration, looking forward to traveling alongside you on this journey.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that trigger food list. Exactly in the right place too. I'm thinking of making some signs in certain places too. Food journaling certainly helps too. It is amazing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing great! I love that you're involving your family. I definitely think losing weight is a team effort, even if there's only one person trying to lose weight. I love that you have their support.

    PS. My weigh in days are Monday :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so awesome that you had that conversation with the family, that probably really help them understand why things are going to be different, and to be honest they probably will not even miss the old foods after a while!! The list on the fridge is a phenomenal idea as well! Keep up the hard work and you can and will do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea with the list, right on the fridge. Now you have support from your family and people here. That's wonderful. I love those inspirational stories, they are honestly exactly what you mentioned, those people are just like us. There is no magic, just determination! Keep going strong :)

    Love walking dead!-haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachael, it sounds like you are doing well. Way to go with the workout! I like the list of trigger foods on the fridge. I'm afraid my list would be too long and perhaps I should post a list of acceptable foods and stick with them only for a while. April sure is an inspirational success story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making a list of trigger foods is a great idea and one that will definitely be beneficial in the long run. Also, I updated the link to Instagram so if you want to see the recipe I talked about in my post yesterday, the link should work now.

    ReplyDelete