Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 47



Today, my daughter's really stressed out me out. I won't go into what happened, but all I wanted was to get rid of all of this crazy stress I was feeling some kind of way. Automatically thinking of comfort food, the first thing I did was looked at the refrigerator. Of course before I even opened the doors, my food triggers list was staring back at me. Okay, I needed to find a healthier way to unwind, so I grabbed my workout DVD. I chose the 4 mile super challenge which is the final workout from my Walk away the Pounds.

I should probably mention that the most I've done so far on that DVD is the 3 mile advanced workout. I'd never done 4 miles and I didn't plan to get through the whole thing anyway. I just wanted to take everything I was feeling and push myself hard. I was amazed when I did the whole 4 miles. It certainly wasn't easy and I had no idea that I'd actually get through the whole thing, but shockingly I did. Yes!

Inspiration story: Janaye Murphy lost 122 pounds (Sparkpeople.com story)

I Lost Weight Janaye Murphy

Janaye's before weight was 288 pounds



How I Gained It: A little after my 21st birthday, my mom had a stroke and I moved back home to help my dad take care of her. Most of the day I sat around the house with my mom; she had a hard time walking and didn't get out much. I ate whatever I wanted, not worrying about what I was doing to myself. It was a really hard time in my life, and I comforted myself with food. In April 2009, we took my mom on a trip to Hawaii. I didn't recognize myself in the photos. I got on a scale -- I was 288 pounds.
Breaking Point: A few months after we got back from Hawaii, my mom's health got worse: heart problems, renal failure, diabetes, stroke and early Alzheimer's. I just kept thinking she wouldn't want me to end up like her and about how much I was putting myself at risk by being so overweight. At the beginning of August 2010, my mom passed away at 47. That was all the motivation I would ever need.
How I Lost It: I started working out six days a week with walking, yoga, cycling, weights and step aerobics. I stopped eating fast food, most processed foods and soda. People always ask me how I did it. There was no pill, surgery or diet -- it was a life change that requires a lot of motivation. I eat healthy and work out to live longer. There are days when I don't feel like working out, or I'm thinking about eating more than I should, but then I think about my mom and I know she would want me to live a long and healthy life. We fail to realize sometimes that we only get this one body, and we are only cheating ourselves by not taking care of it.

Janaye's current weight is 166 pounds.



Daily Food Journal:



Breakfast: Steel cut oatmeal with a sliced pear, flaxseeds and chopped walnuts, decaf
(I usually put berries in my oatmeal, but I was out. I had a pear left in the fruit bowl so I sliced that up instead. I probably won't do it again only because the pear and the oatmeal together was really filling.)


Lunch: peanut butter and bananas on multi grain toast and a side of broccoli (I've been wanting to try peanut butter and bananas for the longest, and I'm glad I did. It was also very good.)



Snack: 1 hard boiled egg



Dinner: baked sweet potato and sautéed kale with garlic, hot cup of green tea with honey

Sweat means your body is getting the movement it needs.

14 comments:

  1. Great job on pushing past the stress with the 4 mile super challenge! You are getting stronger! Feels great, doesn't it? :) Keep it up!

    Love the inspirational weight loss story today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good girl! In every way possible, exercising is just about THE best way to handle stress!!! Endorphins knock that stress right off its feet! YAY YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a therapy session about stress..just laying it all out there and having someone affirm "Wow that is stressful. you are stressed." Sometimes I journal what all I'm stressed about and just try to let it go, visualize it in a basket attached to a balloon and let the basket go.

    Peanut butter and banana alone, on a waffle, on toast, on an English muffin half (Ezekial bread raisin English muffins have so much nutrition and are perfect with this.)...it's all good..apples too with this combos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Way to go, that was sure an inspiration - you are doing so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Racheal! I always think "can of frosting!" when I'm stressed out. I told my teen daughter that if a company made little squirt tubes of frosting for purses, that would sell.

    You did really well. Your food is really healthy and in calorie limits for sure. Really great.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great day in the books. You handled your stress well. I often think/dream about comfort food when I am overstressed. Knowing that it is stress and not hunger calling is helping me make the right decision. You did me one better and exercised rather than just not eating the comfort food. Way to go Rachael.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BIG congrats on a successful day all the way around! I, too, have a stressful situation that's leading me to the fridge..groan..but today I caught it in time, took myself for a walk and a bike ride instead. :) Exercise is the ultimate stress-reducer, isn't it?

    And I love peanut butter & bananas..grin..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on avoiding the typically unhealthy comfort food and popping in the workout DVD. Another congrats on making it through the 4 miles, that was a reward in itself! Keep it up, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really great that you channelled your stress into something positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Leslie dvds. And YAY you! You did so well! I look forward to reading about your journey. As for the comment you left on my blog--yes, the challenge is going well. I really need to update my blog--it is on my "to do" list. Anyway...so nice to meet you and I wish you the best of success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good evening Rachel. Thank you for stopping by. I have started to follow you and cheer you on your way on your journey.
    The challenge you faced and conquered was awesome. Keep up the great work.
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just spent time reading a lot back to the beginning. You really have come far.
    I want you to read another great person in his journey . . . go to
    http://gettinoldainteasy.blogspot.com/ and met Marc. Watch his video. He has some really wonderful thoughts and ideas.
    Take care and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! that must have felt great at the end! Great job. Keep up all the great work. I love how after a workout you feel less stressed, it's like you worked out so many problem in your head!

    ReplyDelete