Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 55



Hi, I'm sorry I've been missing in action for a bit, but I've just been really busy these past couple of days. I've stayed on track, though and I also treated myself to something since pretty soon, it'll be 2 months on my journey. Don't worry, it wasn't food. I did however pick up the Wheat Belly book by Dr. William Davis, from Target today.


Gwen from Sky and Surf (skynsurf.com) posted some disturbing things about eating wheat a few days ago, that blew my mind... seriously. I always thought wheat was good for me, but she shared some facts that showed me otherwise. There's still so much I don't know, I mean I don't even know where to begin. I went to the grocery store today thinking that I'll just get a different type of bread and start there. I grabbed a loaf of rye then pumpernickel, but when I read the ingredients, I noticed that those breads had wheat flour, too... even white bread. I'm a bit confused. I don't even know what to eat for breakfast anymore, because I pretty much stick to Special K every morning. For the time being, I'll stick with the same cereal and I'll start reading the book tomorrow.

Inspiration picture: Jennifer Hodges lost 212 pounds (Sparkpeople.com featured story)

I Lost Weight Jennifer Hodges

Jennifer's before weight was 369 pounds. I included a part of her interview below.



How I Gained It: I was addicted to fast and processed food. And I led a very sedentary lifestyle. Food filled a void for me. A void left by working parents, a lack of friends. I ate because I was bored. I ate because I was lonely. I ate because I could. I just ate. The bigger I got, the more I ate and the worse I would eat. I think a lot of the eating habits stemmed from growing up in the restaurant business, having food available all the time. I would feel good when I was eating, but as soon as I was done, I would feel horrible. So I just didn’t stop.
Breaking Point: When I fell in the backyard and couldn't get up. My three young children had to run inside the house to get my husband. He had to roll me on a blanket and drag me inside. That was my "a-ha" moment. I knew I needed to change my lifestyle not only for myself, but for my entire family.
How I Lost It: I enrolled in a gym. I started out very slowly. I began at the gym on the recumbent bicycle, but I longed to get into the group fitness room. I could see the room from my bike and I just couldn’t wait to get in there, but I was so worried what other people might think about me. Finally after about three months I decided I didn’t care anymore what other people thought. This journey was for me and my family, not for other people. In January 2009, I took my first Les Mills group fitness class: Body Step. I was very nervous, and I was too big and too out of shape to use the step, so I just did the moves on the floor. After three months, I started using the step. I was feeling more confident in myself and in my body. I also started adding BODYPUMP to my routine right around this three-month mark. Soon after I was able to do two hours of consecutive exercise; cardio and strength. And I loved it! I loved the person I was becoming. My body started to change shape; I was becoming leaner, fitter, a better person on the outside and the inside. Group fitness has forever changed my life. I also totally changed my diet and started paying close attention to what I was putting in my body. I gave up all processed and fast food -- all of it! I'll have an egg-white omelete with spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes for breakfast with a slice of Ezekial bread. Lunch is generally my largest meal of the day, lean protein like fish, chicken or shrimp on a bed of greens, or a salad with a lot of beans. For dinner, I usually have whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa or couscous with lean protein. And during the day I snack on all sorts of fruit. Apples, bananas and mangoes are my favorite.

This is Jennifer today at 157 pounds.



Daily Food Journal:
Breakfast: Special K with berries, decaf
Lunch: Tuna on multigrain with lettuce, tomatoes and 1 pear
Snack: 1/2 grapefruit
Dinner: 2 slices of rotisserie chicken, 1 baked sweet potato, cabbage

If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael,
    I know what you mean about being in the busy zone as I have been there too! Glad to hear you are doing great!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachael - Jennifer's story is very inspiring and motivational. I was reading Caron's blog the other day and there is wheat in twizzler's licorice. Let us know what you think about the book, once you've read it. I'll be very interested:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rachael, glad to hear you're on track. I've purchased the book too, but haven't finished reading yet. Interesting and scarey stuff in there. I've cut my wheat consumption a great deal. It's everywhere, but I am working on it. Good luck. Great inspirational story too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Glad you are on track. The motivational story you listed gives some good breakfast ideas. Ezekial bread ( I like the cinnamon raisin English muffins) are good, but I don't know about the wheat. I've been eating wheat since I was a kid ..I made my mom by me Roman Meal (which was the only wheat bread then) while everyone else ate white bread. I am the one who is obese? Let us know about that book

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't mind, once you have started reading the book, would you mind doing a review of it? I saw the book today and wasn't sure if I should buy it and figured I would turn to the internet to find out more about it, so this post was just in time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the wheat bread, I think the bigger concern is whether it's sprouted or not (you want sprouted, they harvest and process before it has in most cases where a lot of people think that's the main problem.) So, look for those Ezekial breads or one that says "sprouted grains" on it. That'll help you whittle down the choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to know more about the book too. A review as you good would be cool.
    Ezekial breads? Today was the first time I've seen that name now twice with Kyra's comment.
    Keep up the good work. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rachel, great post!I love sparkpeople too.
    You might want to search bradmill2229(ON Sparkpeople)
    I love the menu plan--dinner in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm... I'll have to pick that book up. I think I eat way too much wheat in my diet. I've never understood if that was okay or not? My guess is it's not, so I definitely need to get educated on the subject!

    I fell off track there for a bit, but the thought of Christmas morning got me back in the game :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checkin' in on you! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel, hope you're still hanging in there!

    Personally, I gradually reduced wheat and processed carbs from my diet of the course of a year or so. These days I might have a slice of bread or a wrap or pita bread once a month, if that. Don't forget your local library is a great source for books on health and nutrition :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope everything is going well! Remember, WE CAN DO THIS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. missing you ..hope you are doing ok. And if not..just come back anyway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rachael!
    Hope everything is going well.
    I love your inspirational story as always! Such great reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned so much from the book. I haven't been eating wheat for months now. I am down to a normal BMI. My workout buddy stopped eating wheat about a month ago. She is doing great with it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That interview is very inspiring! It really takes a painful event for some of us to get a wake up call. It really takes a lot of effort and discipline to be healthy and stay healthy. Now with regards to that wheat issue, I think it would be better to refrain on wheat altogether, as it is still carbs and can be a huge source of the weight we gain. If you really cannot stay away from carbs, maybe you can try other forms like potatoes or sweet potatoes as a much healthier substitute.

    John Creek

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Jennifer is very inspiring. It's really hard to try to lose weight, coupled with what others would say about you that can really damage your self-esteem. However, she was able to overcome the challenges and has been successful!
    Carol Baker

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its really amazing to see your entire weight loss journey. You have got unbelievable change. Hats off for the efforts you made. I would like to share my venus factor diet plan with people as I have tried it and got 100% positive results. Hope it helps them as well. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete